[OpenAFS] Re: differences between aklog on Windows and Unix?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:45:59 -0800

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> writes:
> Remember that the way a realm is determined for a cell is by
> obtaining the list of vldb servers for the cell, choosing the
> first server off the list and then performing a domain to realm
> mapping on the server name.  The cell name is not used for this.

Hrm, so would this work?

  CELL    IN   AFSDB   1 doesnt-exist.CELL
  CELL    IN   AFSDB   2 CELL
  CELL    IN   A       X.X.X.X

Where:

  - doesnt-exist.CELL does *NOT* have any A records (stupid
    administrative constraint that I probably can't get around; see
    below)

  - REALM is CELL in upper-case

The idea here being that doesnt-exist.CELL is a dummy entry just to
make sure that "take the first vldb server, strip off one component,
and uppercase the rest" gives you the right realm.  But
doesnt-exist.CELL is effectively a "vldb server that is always
broken", and CELL (aka X.X.X.X) actually does all the work.

Basically, I can't get the department to create "A" records for
machines that don't exist, and I can't register machines as
XXX.research.cs.berkeley.edu (the rules are that you must be exactly
one level below cs.berkeley.edu, only exceptions are for reasonably
standardized SRV/TXT/etc records).

These are the constraints I'm stuck with.

  - a