[OpenAFS] OpenAfs for Mac OSX 10.4

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:27:00 +0100

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:50:04AM +0000, ksassenberg@eircom.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I should first explain that I am just starting off with OpenAfs and so
> don't really understand much,

... Welcome to AFS :-)

Everything I'm writing is related do 1.4.1rc4 - didn't have time to make
a rc5 package, yet.

> 1) When I installed "OpenAFS 1.4.1 Release Candidate 5", it says that one
> has to select your cell from the "ThisCell" file. My problem is that this
> file contains only one entry, openafs.org. Should I put the cellname that
> I want to connect to above this or is there something else ?

Just put your cellname into this file ( /var/db/openafs/etc/ThisCell ).

> 2) I went into /Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS to find out why OpenAfs was
> not running and get this message when I try to start it:

> Starting OpenAFS
> kextload: extension /var/db/openafs/etc/afs.kext is already loaded
> Starting afsd
> afsd: some file missing or bad in /var/db/openafs/etc
> afssettings: sysctl 3.20.1.0.1 => 0: Operation not supported on socket

Hmm ... don't know this problem. Maybe CellServDB is missing? Do you use
AFSDB-DNS-records? If yes, you still need the CellServDB file but you
probably want it to be empty:

 echo -n > /var/db/openafs/etc/CellServDB

Regards,

Frank