[OpenAFS] Re: foreign-realm members of system:administrators have weakened powers?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:15:51 -0500

On Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:00:42 PM -0800 Adam Megacz
<megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>> No; I think you're just not running with enough debugging.
>> The interesting message happens at LogLevel >= 25.
>
> megacz@maxwell:~$kinit megacz@MEGACZ.COM
> Please enter the password for megacz@MEGACZ.COM:
> megacz@maxwell:~$aklog -c research.cs.berkeley.edu
> megacz@maxwell:~$pts creategroup project.test system:administrators -cell
> research.cs.berkeley.edu pts: Permission denied ; unable to create group
> project.test with id 0 owned by 'system:administrators'
>
> Fri Jan 27 05:58:36 2006 Set Debug On level = 25
[...]
> Fri Jan 27 05:59:10 2006 PTS_NewEntry: code 267269 cid -204 aid
> -1212129404 aname project.test oid -204

Congratulations; you have found a bug.  There is code in the ptserver which
allows cross-realm users to create their own PTS entries, under certain
circumstances.  Such entries are always recorded with creator
system:administrators, which is the only time a _group_ appears as the
creator of an entry (except perhaps for certain entries created during
database creation).  An unintended side-effect of this code is that users
from foreign realms cannot be treated as administrators for the purpose of
creating PTS entries.

I have a fix in mind for this; if you forward this message to
openafs-bugs@openafs.org and CC me, I will try to get you a patch shortly.

-- Jeff