[OpenAFS] the notion of "site" is not always well-defined / "project cells"

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:28:08 -0500

On Jan 29, 2006, at 6:19 , Adam Megacz wrote:

> I think the confusion comes from the fact that AFS was originally a
> commercial software program that you had to pay a huge amount of money
> for.  Therefore, every user had exactly one "site" -- the organization
> that paid for his/her copy.  It was extremely rare for any person to
> have their client software paid for twice by two different
> organizations.  But this is no longer the case.

Er, no.  AFS was originally developed to serve the needs of Carnegie
Mellon University, which still has multiple cells.  IBM helped fund
its development (much as DEC and others helped fund MIT's Project
Athena whose most famous offshoot is X11), then asserted license
rights over the result.

That said, the design model is perhaps not what you're looking for
--- but demanding that unpaid volunteers reengineer it to fit your
particular requirements is not going to accomplish very much.  There
are some things that might help you which are being considered, but
they'll take a fair amount of (unpaid volunteer) time and work.

I argue that you should perhaps not look gift horses too closely in
the mouth, nor demand that the giver exchange an Appaloosa for a
trained Clydesdale.

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery@kf8nh.com