[OpenAFS] Re: foreign-realm members of system:administrators have weakened powers?

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:00:39 -0600

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Whose should your users trust more?  You or me?

At many sites it may be YOU.

> Your users are
> much better off getting software customized for your site from your
> site than getting stuff I built whom they have no relation to at all.

It can be that the AFS admin people are not Windows people, and don't
know how to custimize SMI. The Windows people who do know how to do this,
don't know AFS. Users are used to downloading software, and find it easier
to go to the Web then to look around for a locally custom install.

Maybe the default cell should not be openafs.org, maybe there should be no
default, to force users to specify their local cell during install.

I do agree with you that the user's should get it locally...  But they do
have a relationship with you, as we get the sofware from you, and you are
doing such a great job with it that that is OK with us.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory