[OpenAFS] Re: Using volumes for daemons

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 01 Jul 2006 18:48:32 -0700

Chris Huebsch <chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:
> You might try to use large files via loop-back mounts. But I think AFS
> is just not designed for that kind of application.

Specifically, the loop-back mount will probably be reading from the
file-device using some sort of special kernel thread outside the PAG
that performed the mount.

For exactly this reason, double-clicking on a .dmg (disk image) that
is not accessible by system:anyuser will hang the Mac OS X finder --
badly enough that you can't kill it or shut down cleanly [RT #34752].
Be careful!

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380