[OpenAFS] Re: windows 1.5.2 client and redirector/connection type

T. Czerwonka timc@cs.wisc.edu
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:36:00 -0500

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:23:19 -0400
Joe Buehler <jbuehler@spirentcom.com> wrote:

> Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>
> > See   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889000/en
> >
> > This is not an issue with OpenAFS.
>
> Thank you for this tidbit.  I had reported the same error message
> recently, though with 2000 Server, but it makes me suspicious
> that there might be a similar cause.  I'll check with the sysadmins
> and see if they recently applied a service pack or patches to the OS.

Yes -- thanks for providing the link, Jeffrey.

Perhaps Microsoft broke something in a recent update?

The link provided above states:
"Note This problem is resolved in the file Tcpip.sys version 5.1.2600.2505 and later versions."

My test workstation has version 5.1.2600.2892 of tcpip.sys as found in MS06-032.

If I get some time I'll have to try this out on a installation that does not have this patch.  But at least for us, the most important thing is this event log message appears to be without consequence and is likely unrelated to the issues I had at the time.  (turning on the freelance option in the client has eliminated the startup delays that I was trying to track down)

--Tim

Tim Czerwonka
timc@cs.wisc.edu