[OpenAFS] RedHat Itanium kernel module naming convention

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko@cs.unc.edu
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:46:47 -0400

I have 2 old HP Itanium workstations I need to maintain. They were
running OpenAFS 1.2.13. They run Red Hat Enterprise 3. I needed to
patch the things and decided to build OpenAFS 1.4.1.

I installed the OpenAFS src.rpm and the build went fine. I installed
the rpms fine. But there is some confusion with the kernel names on Red
Hat Enterprise for the Itanium. RHEL3 only comes with a "kernel" rpm,
no "kernel-smp" rpm. The itanium only come with the multiprocessor
rpm called "kernel." My machines have 2 processors and they are both
running, according to the top command and the /proc/cpuinfo file.
Of course I searched Red Hats site and the internet and could not find any
info on this topic.

I installed the kernel-source rpm, the OpenAFS rpmbuild creates an
openafs-kernel and a openafs-kernel-smp module.

If I install the openafs-kernel rpm the module loads
fine but the afsd complains on startup:

afsd: Error -1 in basic initialization

rpm will complain if I try to install openaf-kernel-smp becuase of a
kernel-smp dependency. Even if I force the install the module will not
get loaded because the /lib/modules/2.4.21-47.ELsmp/ dir will not contain
the proper kernel-smp config files because there is no
kernel-smp module tree.

Anyway, I used rpm2cpio to extract the openafs-kernel-smp
openafs.o module and replaced the openafs-kernel module shown below.
The afsd and cache manager seems to work fine.

/lib/modules/2.4.21-47.EL/kernel/fs/openafs/openafs.o

Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this subject.
That is the configuration not so much the error. I understand the
openafs-kernel-smp has to be used with the kernel-smp else you get
the error.

--
John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175