[OpenAFS] Need help Please

Franco Milicchio milicchio@dia.uniroma3.it
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:48:44 +0200

On May 31, 2006, at 09:15pm, <LAWRENCE.SORRILLO@HAMPTONU.EDU>
<LAWRENCE.SORRILLO@HAMPTONU.EDU> wrote:

> Thanks,
> I only have one machine to test this on.
>
> I have some familiarity with Linux and the client server model so its
> not that bad. I essentially cannot mount the user volumes. I would
> like
> to understand why.
>
> These are some funny entries in the protection database. I am not sure
> that this should be as it is:
>
> -bash-2.05b$ pts listentries
> Name                          ID  Owner Creator
> anonymous                  32766   -204    -204
> admin                          1   -204   32766
> lsorrillo                    500   -204   32766
> sorrillo                     501   -204   32766
> -bash-2.05b$
>
> The -204 and 32766 entries are weird.

They are not weird, have you tried to use pts to examine all your
entries? Take a look:

milicchio:~$ pts listentries
Name                          ID  Owner Creator
milicchio                  10003   -204       1

milicchio:~$ pts examine -204
Name: system:administrators, id: -204, owner: system:administrators,
creator: system:administrators,
   membership: 2, flags: S-M--, group quota: unlimited.

milicchio:~$ pts examine milicchio
Name: milicchio, id: 10003, owner: system:administrators, creator: XXX
   membership: 7, flags: S----, group quota: 20.

I'd suggest as well to look first for a stand-alone client (even
under VMWare or another emulator), and install AFS server and client
from the documentation step by step.

--
Franco Milicchio <milicchio@dia.uniroma3.it>

The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears it is true.      [J. Robert Oppenheimer]