[OpenAFS] recovering corrupted save on file

Rafael Marco de Lucas rmarco@ifca.unican.es
Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:21:14 +0200

--Boundary_(ID_R5Ih1C7rwRCSQlxmaGdtWg)

I think i have more or less the same problem...
i would like to recover a ton of files from some big afs caches...

is there any easy way like copy the cache into a new AFS server ?

if some tool development for it make sense maybe i would be
able to dedicate some time on it, but i would need a lot of help
since i never had a look inside openafs code,
(it could help for many afs server hardware disaster with lost of data)

i would thank any comment about it,

regards,
Rafa

--Boundary_(ID_R5Ih1C7rwRCSQlxmaGdtWg)

The cache does not store files it contains blocks.  There is no
guarantee that a file will be entirely contained in the cache.

You do not specify which OS you are using.  On Windows the cache
file is simply a paging file for dedicated virtual memory.  Assuming
the afsd_service.exe is shut down cleanly it would be possible to
write code that could walk the contents of the cache to piece together
the blocks of the file that exist.  However, no such tools currently
exist.  The tool would have to be able to determine the cell, volume,
vnode, and unique values for the file in order to find the correct
stat cache entry and data buffers.

Jeffrey Altman