[OpenAFS] Can't mount AFS on /afs(22)

Benko benkokakao@gmail.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:09:21 +0200

Hello!

I'm having a issue that has already been posted several times in this
list, however, none of the threads i've read so far have solved my
problem and i also think that my case differs:

Kernel: 2.6.16-gentoo-r9
OpenAFS-ebuild: 1.4.1-r1
Kerberos5-ebuild: mit-krb5-1.4.3-r1

i had a working openafs/krb5 test-installation on gentoo already but
reinstalled it, as i changed the partition-table(to be able to cluster
openafs with the help of drbd/heartbeat). I've deleted everything
related to openafs before reinstalling, still there seem to be relicts
of the previous installation.
I was following this german How-To till "3.2.9 - Starting OpenAFS":
http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/OpenAFS_mit_MIT-Kerberos5, english
translation available in the gentoo-forums:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-449221.html).

I've managed to configure Kerberos5 and the openafs-server process,
both seem to run as expected. However, since two days i'm fiddling with
the openafs-client on the server machine without any results :-(

When i try to start the afs-client, i get the following error message:

 # /etc/init.d/openafs-client start
 * Starting OpenAFS client ...
 *   Starting OpenAFS daemon ...
afsd: All AFS daemons started.
afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs(22)                             [ !! ]

The openafs-module is loaded, a afs-dir exists(owner root, chmod 755)

However, this only occurs on the server-machine - on my laptop, the
client starts without errors, i can optain tokens and /afs shows
"cell-name" and ".cell-name" (however, i can't access it as i've not
setup any volumes yet) my CellServDB and ThisCell are exactly the
same as on the laptop, the only difference seems to be the host.

After i try to start the afsd on the server-machine, there are
afsd-processes i can't kill(even with signal 9), i have to
restart the machine to get back a clean state.

My feeling is that the problem is related to the openafs-module and
mounting of the afs-directory(as i can't kill the afsd-processes or
rmmod openafs), but i can't track it down closer. Maybe someone has more
ideas?

Regards
Christian Benke