[OpenAFS] How does AFS deal with non-AFS files on its partitions?

David Geirsson davidgeirs@gmail.com
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:01:08 +0000

Hi all,

I'm preparing to set up OpenAFS for a small network (3-4 users, ~500GB
of data to store). The server machine has 4x320GB IDE disks in a RAID5
configuration. There is no backup equipment set up, as this is for a
personal network and we can't afford it.

I've read in the AFS docs (which I admit I'm still reading, so this may
be covered better later) that AFS likes to have its own dedicated
partitions, and that this is "strongly recommended". I am wondering,
however, what would happen? Will OpenAFS trample all the files? Because
the easiest solution for me here would be to let OpenAFS use the data
partition for its own files, and then move files from that partition to
the AFS mount.

Anyway, help would be much appreciated.

PS: I'm not subscribed to this mailing list. I'll monitor the web
archive, but it'd be good if I were CC'ed on replies.

With kind regards,
--
David Steinn Geirsson
Reykjavik, Iceland