[OpenAFS] Filename character sets

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:44:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Vadim Godunko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are setup AFS server on Linux host and two AFS clients: one Linux and
> one Windows. Linux client (and server) use UTF-8 character set. If I
> create file or directory which name have national characters on Linux
> machine I can't correctly see this names on Windows machine.
>
> Does OpenAFS has some options for select character set used by clients?

At present, no.  If your clients do not agree on the character set in use,
you will have this sort of problem.

We have changes on the drawing board which will result in using unicode
filenames, with clients doing appropriate translation.  Of course, this
will require each client to know what character set you're using and
translate appropriately; we haven't really discussed how the configuration
for this will work yet.

As I understand it, for Windows clients this will also depend on some
major changes to the Windows AFS client, so that it can support the use of
Unicode filenames.  I don't believe that work is underway yet, and I don't
know when the Windows developer(s) will find time to get to it.

-- Jeff