[OpenAFS] Changing AFS database server names

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:34:55 -0400

At 09:16 AM 6/27/2006, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

>I should also point out that the Windows client when not using
>Freelance mode does a very poor job of failing over when the first
>vlserver found in the CellServDB is not available and Freelance mode
>is not being used.   The Windows client prior to the next set of
>releases only makes one attempt to load the root.afs volume due to
>the fact that the HardDeadTimeout for RX is greater than the timeout
>configured for processing CIFS requests.  Depending on the deployed
>clients moving the vlservers could end up being quite painful.

I have one question related to this.  When we were experiencing this
problem the first vlserver in the list was active, and it had the lowest
subnet number, which means the service should have started just fine.  The
fact that the other vlservers were not contactable shouldn't have prevented
the client from finding the root.afs, but that is what happend.  It
appeared (to me) that the client service wasn't starting because all the
vlservers weren't online.  That is a different senario than just saying the
first one not contactable caused the service to "time out".

Rodney