[OpenAFS] Choosing Cell Names (was Re: Changing AFS database server names)

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:31:00 -0400

On Tuesday, June 27, 2006 09:13:30 AM -0400 "Todd M. Lewis"
<utoddl@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Somebody made a good decision when our cell was named. They gave it a
> name ("isis") that didn't have anything to do with our current
> organization (except the top levels of course: "unc.edu").

Did it have anything to do with an initiative to provide a campus-wide
computing infrastructure?  In the early days, those projects tended to have
names, and often lent them to the infrastructures they created.  That's how
we ended up with names like ANDREW.CMU.EDU or ATHENA.MIT.EDU (just to name
a couple).  These days, I don't think that phenomenon is so common.

Personally, I think the right answer is to give the organizational units
ficticious names, like "Larry" or "Bob", instead of descriptive ones.  :-)