[OpenAFS] extreme slowness on windows client

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:04:09 -0700

I have recently noted on two separate windows XP system (with sp2
installed and openafs 1.4.xxx current stable release as of yesterday)
that opening items in afs space is very slow. I googled for this and
ran across some old notes from around 2003 but didn't think they would
apply any longer.

The event logged has the following:

Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    AFS Client
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1005
Date:        6/26/2006
Time:        5:06:33 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    PP-CCOFFMAN
The description for Event ID ( 1005 ) in Source ( AFS Client ) cannot
be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: Pkt straddled session startup, took
117125 ms, ncb length 81.

There was also the following event logged as well:

Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    AFS Client
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1009