[OpenAFS] Using volumes for daemons

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:32:00 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Caskey L. Dickson wrote:

> I'm curious as to whether you can use AFS volumes for the storage locations
> of services like openldap, mysql and postgresql.  All three use database
> files which are held open for long periods of time and normally would require
> large amounts of local storage.

It depends. As far as I know, all those daemons use backends which are
based on Berkeley DB or something like that. To function properly, they
need byte-range-locking on their files. AFS does not support that kind
of locks. You might lose data.

You might try to use large files via loop-back mounts. But I think AFS
is just not designed for that kind of application.

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204