[OpenAFS] upper limit of open files?

Sven Oehme oehmes@de.ibm.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:32:37 +0200

--=_alternative 0023B825C125719D_=

there is no limit on a Cell (as far as i know) , but  there are limits on
a single node and that is basically what a System (Client or Server) can
handle .... but you have to adjust afs client and server settings to be
able to handle higher numbers of files, with default settings it will
crash in some very rare conditions a single client can kill you complete
cell .
The other problem is, that handling a huge amount of open file handles
creates a high load on a Client.
i had several problems on a AFS Client with > 20.000 File handles opened
at once, the system load increased like hell and i ended up in a load of
>10 on a linux box.

Sven

Harald Milz <hm@seneca.muc.de>
Sent by: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
06/30/2006 06:15 AM

openafs-info@openafs.org
cc

Subject
[OpenAFS] upper limit of open files?

Hi,

I am new to this list, and I have a question that I could not answer by
browsing the entire list archive...

A customer of mine wants to extend the number of users accessing a cell we
set up last year. I seem to remember an upper limit of 150,000 open files
on OpenAFS, though, but I am not quite sure. Can somebody please point me
where to look for the accurate information?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Harald

--
If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every
word you say, talk in your sleep.

--=_alternative 0023B825C125719D_=

as i know) , but &nbsp;there are limits on a single node and that is basically
what a System (Client or Server) can handle .... but you have to adjust
afs client and server settings to be able to handle higher numbers of files,
with default settings it will crash in some very rare conditions a single
client can kill you complete cell . </font>
a huge amount of open file handles creates a high load on a Client. </font>
with &gt; 20.000 File handles opened at once, the system load increased
like hell and i ended up in a load of &gt;10 on a linux box.</font>
I am new to this list, and I have a question that I could not answer by<br>
browsing the entire list archive... <br>
A customer of mine wants to extend the number of users accessing a cell
we<br>
set up last year. I seem to remember an upper limit of 150,000 open files<br>
on OpenAFS, though, but I am not quite sure. Can somebody please point
me<br>
where to look for the accurate information? <br>
Thanks in advance!<br>
Best regards,<br>
Harald<br>
-- <br>
If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every<br>
word you say, talk in your sleep.<br>