[OpenAFS] ka-forwarder -> fakeka malformed (bad password)

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko@cs.unc.edu
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:42:18 -0400

Thanks for the info. I set my encryption type to:

kadmin: cpw -e des-cbc-crc:v4 sopko

which produces the output from kadmin as:

Key: vno 16, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, Version 4

I get a different error on the k5/fakeka server when
trying to do an AFS klog:

Jun 30 08:19:37 kfive fakeka[18668]: authenticate: sopko. from 152.2.128.185
Jun 30 08:19:37 kfive fakeka[18668]: ... failed due to request was malformed
(bad password)
Jun 30 08:19:37 kfive fakeka[18668]: authenticate: sopko. from 152.2.128.185
Jun 30 08:19:37 kfive fakeka[18668]: principal krbtgt.CS.UNC.EDU does not exist
Jun 30 08:19:37 kfive fakeka[18668]: getticket: Unknown.Unknown from
152.2.128.185 for afs.

looks like fakeka wants a K4 style user.instance name for
"krbtgt.CS.UNC.EDU". I checked the production afs cell
with "kas list" and the instance does exist. Or maybe
fakeka would be happy with the k5 style principal krbtgt/CSX.UNC.EDU@CSX.UNC.EDU
if the REALM name and Cell name were the same.

The output from "fakeka -d" is:

# ./fakeka -d -f eagle.cs.unc.edu

Handling Authenticate request
Authenticating sopko.
Handling Authenticate request
Authenticating sopko.
Handling GetTicket request
Cell is CS.UNC.EDU
Request for afs/

I am just testing and trying to put together a migration plan.
I could move the k5 server to the afs db server and run fakeka
their if we think the problem is in the ka-forwarder but it
sounds like the problem is with the REALM name being different
from the cell name.

--
John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175