[OpenAFS] debian packages & backports

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 01 May 2006 17:07:15 -0700

David Broudy <dave@broudy.net> writes:
> Dan Pritts wrote:
>> (he says, wishing there were a linux distro that did what he wanted)

> Check out Ubuntu, it has a newer openafs than Debian stable, and lots of
> other packages. It also seems to include backports in their master plan.

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=openafs-&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

Note that the version of the package in Ubuntu stable is older than the
version at backports.org.

> (long time Debian user who got tired of waiting for Sarge to become
> Stable and is thinking about trying Ubuntu if etch takes as long)

sarge + backports.org works great for us here.  Ubuntu isn't quite
sufficiently stable for my taste.  But then, I'm one of the people who
thinks that a release cycle faster than once every year and a half for a
distribution is actually too fast.

Anyway, it's all the same package, namely the Debian packages that Sam and
I maintain for Debian proper which slowly propagate into both
backports.org and into Ubuntu.  I'm checking with Andres to see if he
wants to keep maintaining the backports.org backport or if I should pick
it up.  I have no personal interest in Ubuntu, beyond being willing to
answer bug reports that aren't specific to Ubuntu.