[OpenAFS] butc backup deletedump tape reclamation

Robert Petkus rpetkus@bnl.gov
Tue, 02 May 2006 09:41:33 -0400

Rainer Toebbicke wrote:

> Robert Petkus wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> I'm using OpenAFS 1.2.11 on Solaris 9 with TSM for backups.  The
>> problem is that while "backup deletedump" successfully removes dump
>> records from the backup database, tape resources are never reclaimed
>> by TSM.   The net result is that endless tapes are consumed by AFS
>> with no clear end in sight. Has anyone had this experience or any
>> suggestions, clues how to proceed.
>>

> If you deletedump with the proper -port option and a suitable butc is
> running on that port with TSM access, the dump objects are deleted. At
> least that is what we observe here. You don't specify -dbonly or such,
> do you?

That's what I do as well -- for example: "backup deletedump -to 03/01/06
-p 3"
The dump objects are indeed deleted, at least from the perspective of
AFS.  But TSM never reclaims the tapes where those dumps were stored.

Robert