[OpenAFS] CellServDB file update...

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 15 May 2006 22:48:14 -0400

The AFS administration reference...

http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/AdminReference/auarf020.htm

...makes clear that CellServDB files should never be updated by editing
them with a text editor or I assume by the same token (no pun) simply
copying new ones into place.  The reference gives absolutely no indication
of why or what the consequences are.

Without performing a BOS restart, we've recently had the experience that
copying a new CellServDB file over an existing one on a file server causes
the file server volumes to become inaccessable.  This happened on our
Solaris clients as well as our XP clients.  Our XP clients started
returning the error SEC_E_NO_KERB_KEY.

Is the date/time stamp on the CellServDB files used for security in some
fashion?  We didn't think the file server process re-read the CellServDB
file without a BOS restart.

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
Windows Systems Programmer
Mosaic Computing Group
William States Lee College of Engineering
Email: rmdyer@uncc.edu
Web: http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer
Phone: (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line: (704)687-3150
FAX: (704)687-2352
Office:  Cameron Applied Research Center, Room 232