[OpenAFS] CellServDB file update...

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 16 May 2006 09:33:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Marcus Watts wrote:

> Uh, when you're more sober -- why exactly do you *need*
> to change the CellServDB on your fileservers?  This is
> definitely not a "normal operational thing" to do in the
> first place.

My sobriety has nothing to do with his replacing CellServDBs being normal.
(It has to do with my kitchen renovations not going as well as I'd like)

My only point was the afsconf package will reread the CellServDB; if you
replace it, it gets reread. My bug was introduced fixing another bug. My
bug has since been fixed.

> cells is "harmless" but not useful.  So, the only reason you *should*
> be changing this is because you are adding or removing db hosts to
> CellServDB.  Since that's got widespread client-side implications,
> well, at the very least you certainly shouldn't expect that to be
> completely invisible to them at least not without careful planning and
> thought.  Adding or removing things here also has serious implications
> for the fileserver - at the very least, it needs to redo its ptserver
> connections.

Not necessarily; Only if you leave the ptserver process running on the old
machine. Otherwise it will try to establish a new one, and remember,
again, that we reread the CellServDB....

> like Derrick did that, modulo a minor bug or so.  It would also be nice
> if the documentation at least described what was going to happen if it
> isn't going to be "nice" behavior.  Sounds like the documentation at

Well, these days it does just work.

Derrick