[OpenAFS] Maximum volume size (again)

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Wed, 17 May 2006 12:05:25 -0400

On May 16, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 16, 2006 02:06:22 PM -0400 Derrick J Brashear
> <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 May 2006, John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> .... Is the recommendation still
>>> 8GB for OpenAFS 1.4.1? Are there any notes on maximum volume
>>> and file sizes? Thanks for the info.
>>
>> You'll be sad if you ever need to move it unless you have fast
>> stuff all
>> around.
>
> You'll be sad because big volumes take a long time to move.
> You'll be more sad if the volume consists of a very large number of
> small files, rather than a few large files.  If it's going to be
> lots of little files, you should encourage the user to structure
> his data so that multiple volumes can be used.

Has anyone done any comparisons to determine if the time to move a
single
large volume is significantly different than the time to move the
equivalent files in smaller volumes? I'm doing some testing, and may
give this a shot.
(And, before anybody jumps in to point out the advantages of being
able to deal with things that come in smaller chunks: yes, I know
that. I just want to know if you more more than an additive penalty
for the large volume vs the volume set.)

Steve