[OpenAFS] Maximum volume size (again)

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Wed, 17 May 2006 12:09:21 -0400

On May 16, 2006, at 1:37 PM, John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:

> Just had a user that wants a volume greater then 8GB. We have
> always gone by the recommendation of 8GB maximum volumes.
> I do not particularly want to manage volumes larger then
> 8GB but need and official answer to give to this person.
>
> I searched the openafs-devel|info mail archives and did not
> see much info on this topic. Is the recommendation still
> 8GB for OpenAFS 1.4.1? Are there any notes on maximum volume
> and file sizes? Thanks for the info.

And to answer the original question - we now have a number of volumes
which are pushing 100GB in actual usage. Other than the fact that
they take a long time to move, copy, back up, etc, they work fine.
After our backup system barfed on a 121GB volume, we have capped
volumes at 100GB max quota.  We're running 1.4.X.

My seat-of-the-pants analysis says the primary performance problem
with these large volumes is all the old small-cache clients we have
out there.

Steve