[OpenAFS] browsing \\afs is flaky with openafs-1.4.1 on xp sp2

Christopher Allen Wing wingc@engin.umich.edu
Wed, 17 May 2006 14:30:03 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks.  It wasn't clear to me whether this was a known problem or if
something was broken in my system's configuration.

I was looking at documentation such as your status report from December:

 	https://www.secure-endpoints.com/talks/OpenAFS-Windows-Dec-2005-Status-Report.pdf

which seemed to suggest that this would work:

 	1.6.3. Windows Explorer Shell
 	 - AFS UNC paths now supported in the Explorer
 	 - Browsing of the "AFS" Server is now supported (limited to 13
 	   character names)

Maybe you should update the 'afs-issues.txt' file to explicitly state that
browsing \\afs from the Explorer is known to be unreliable.  (while
'net view \\afs' should always work, right?)

As long as referring to complete UNC paths for drive mapping works OK this
isn't a big deal for us.  I was just afraid that I had broken something
because I was able to browse \\afs with the Explorer when I first
installed OpenAFS, but then it failed later on.

Thanks,

Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu