[OpenAFS] HOWTO: multiple cells on a single machine

Robert Banz banz@umbc.edu
Tue, 23 May 2006 13:10:56 -0400

On May 23, 2006, at 13:03, Ken Hornstein wrote:

>> So 127.0.0.1, 127.0.0.2, etc could be used?
>
> I've never seen a machine with a 127.0.0.2 interface.  Loopback is
> generally
> sort of magical; I don't think you can have more than one
> (certainly not in
> a portable way).  In theory, you could pick different port numbers ...
> but how you configure that is an open question.

Most OSs allow you to do IP aliases on the loopback just as you'd do
for any IP interface.  However, selecting which one for which cell is
just as much a pain in the tukkus as selecting an alternate port #
for the fssync communication.

I'd say the best bet for someone really needing to run multiple cells
off of the same server would be to use some virtualisation
technology, such as vmware or Solaris zones.  That'd be my idea...

-rob