[OpenAFS] Solaris 10 inode server

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 26 May 2006 10:56:49 -0500

John Tang Boyland <boyland@cs.uwm.edu> wrote:
> (Since I get openafs-info in digest form, a direct cc is appreciated.)
>
> We are expanding our small AFS cell at UWM.  We have new SPARC
> blades running Solaris 10 and the inode fileserver.  But we've
> found it impossible to create or release volumes to the new machine.
> (The new machine is called jeremiah.cs.uwm.edu.)
>
> I can add a readonly site, but releasing the volume to the server
> hangs, as does trying to create a volume.

Are you using the binaries from openafs.org or did you compile yourself?

Is this the first volume on this partition on this server?  Did vos
listvol return an empty list prior to attempting the release / create?
You did remember to run newfs on the vice partitions before attempting
to use them, correct?

Can you manually create files on /vicepX?  Using touch or cat or
something?  (You probably don't want to attempt this while the
fileserver is running.)

If everything is hung, yes, you will probably have to power-cycle the
server to get it back up.  Or at least I have been in situations where
such action was required.

-----

For the record, I will state that I have had nearly perfect success
using 1.4.1 with the inode server on Solaris 10 on four of my machines.
(Slight un-reproducable problem with two client machines appearing to
have the same UUIDs.)

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen