[OpenAFS] Solaris 10 inode server

John Tang Boyland boyland@solomons.cs.uwm.edu
Fri, 26 May 2006 15:44:37 -0500

] John Tang Boyland <boyland@cs.uwm.edu> wrote:
] > (Since I get openafs-info in digest form, a direct cc is appreciated.)
] >
] > We are expanding our small AFS cell at UWM.  We have new SPARC
] > blades running Solaris 10 and the inode fileserver.  But we've
] > found it impossible to create or release volumes to the new machine.
] > (The new machine is called jeremiah.cs.uwm.edu.)
] >
] > I can add a readonly site, but releasing the volume to the server
] > hangs, as does trying to create a volume.
]
] Are you using the binaries from openafs.org or did you compile yourself?

openafs.org

] Is this the first volume on this partition on this server?

Yes, although we had tried before and got different erroneous results:
vos release wouldn't hang, it would simply report that it failed and
ask to salvage the disk, which didn't help.

But now it was a more serious error.

] Can you manually create files on /vicepX?  Using touch or cat or
] something?  (You probably don't want to attempt this while the
] fileserver is running.)

'touch' hung too.  We rebooted the server and then the disk itself
didn't appear (fsck gave No Such File or Directory).  It looks
like it's a problem with the fibre channel RAID.  Nothing to do with
AFS.  Sorry.

John