[OpenAFS] Any real need for separate AFS cache harddisk partition?

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:22:40 -0500

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 06:06:27AM -0500, Steve Devine wrote:

> There are times ( we have found ) where for troubleshooting reasons it
> has been advantageous to clear out a cache partition and start over.
> This is very easy when all you have to do is disable afs , umount the
> partition and newfs it.
> Other wise you are left with rm -r which take a lot longer and doesn't
> seem as effective.

personally, on servers i create a cache partition at install time; on
desktops & laptops i don't bother.

you can make this a little less painful by renaming the existing cache
directory, and letting the afs client create a new one.  you can then
delete the old directory later, rather than waiting for it to finish
before you restart the client.

danno