[OpenAFS] openafs and legato networker

Wolfgang Friebel Wolfgang.Friebel@desy.de
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:05:44 +0100 (CET)

--579699458-135467829-1163003860=:8519

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Wolfgang Friebel wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Juha J=E4ykk=E4 wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience using legato networker to back up afs
>> volumes?
> We have built a solution around Legato Networker that is using both ful=
l and=20
> incremental dumps using 'vos dump'. The resulting files are put in a di=
sk=20
> pool, from there the files are backed up just as any other files.
> The script that does the backup calculates what kind of backup (full, l=
evel1,=20
> incremental) should be done based on the volume name and date of the la=
st=20
> backup operation.
>
> The recovery script looks first in the same disk pool whether the requi=
red=20
> files to restore a volume are still there. If not, the missing files ar=
e=20
> retrieved from tape. We implemented also the recovery of individual=20
> files in a volume (current restriction: one file only, no dirs).
>
> As the recovery does require root privileges and on the other hand a=20
> user should be able to retrieve "his" volumes or files the recovery=20
> should be done in a client server environment.
>
> The software is mostly written in perl. A talk (in german) can be found=
 at
> http://www.rz.uni-hohenheim.de/afsws06/vortraege/tagung/Friebel_AFSback=
up.pdf

I have now put the complete package into

ftp://ftp.ifh.de/pub/unix/sysadmin/afsbackup/

Most of the site dependencies should have been eliminated by now. The=20
scripts do however reflect to a certain extent the backup policy at our=20
site (how many levels of backup, try to backup .backup volumes if possibl=
e=20
etc.) and might not be immediately applicable to other sites.

We are running this style of backup since several years already. Last yea=
r=20
the scripts were modified heavily. Since then these scripts were running=20
smoothly almost unmodified. There is almost no interaction with users as
they seem to be able to follow the instructions on our web page, which is

http://dvinfo.ifh.de/recover_data_from_AFS

--=20
Wolfgang Friebel                   Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone/Fax:  +49 33762 77372/216    Platanenallee 6
Mail: Wolfgang.Friebel AT desy.de  D-15738 Zeuthen  Germany
--579699458-135467829-1163003860=:8519--