[OpenAFS] openafs on coLinux

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:25:36 -0500

> Anyone done OpenAFS on coLinux yet?  I seem to remember UML getting a
> port a while back.

I haven't, but since nobody else spoke up...

I looked at the coLinux site.  Interesting.  I guess if you have
to run windows, it's even a reasonable choice.  I'm going to try
very hard not to think about running coLinux under linux.

The reason why the OpenAFS build for UML is special is because:
/0/ uml objects are both kernel & userspace objects.
/1/ uml needs different compile-time options.
/2/ uml needs an annoying compile-time environment.
/3/ the distribution openafs build process requires detailed
	knowledge of the required kernel compile-time options.

At a cursory glance, I couldn't tell if coLinux had the same problems.
Given that it's a different tar ball that presumably doesn't pretend
to also work as a stand-alone program, some of the weirdness of
UML should not be present.  Module support would be crucial; if
coLinux doesn't support that the job gets much harder.
Given working module support, /1/+/3/ may still be a problem -- that
could probably be fixed by building some kernel modules with V=1,
taking careful note of the options used, then altering the openafs
build process to use the same options.

				-Marcus