[OpenAFS] openafs-1.4.2 RHEL RPM package installs nonempty SuidCells and mangles CellServDB

Carson Gaspar carson@taltos.org
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:20:02 -0800

Derek Atkins wrote:
> The RPM will combine /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.local with
> /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.dist into /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.
> If you have local changes you want to make to the CellServDB
> then put them into CellServDB.local and the RPM will include
> them in the new CellServDB.  This is done at every 'start'
> (or at least checked).
>
> SuidCells is handled the same way.

As another data point for y'all, we overwrite the new init scripts with
more sane ones. For those of us in enterprise environments that have no
desire or ability to talk to random Internet AFS cells, it's a terrible
idea. The current code has no way to disable the new behaviour, and the
shell code has no error checking to speak of. I wish this had been
discussed before it was incorporated into the release.

--
Carson