[OpenAFS] Resizing an ext2-partition on linux

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:34:15 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, ted tcreedon wrote:

> Why not use ext3 or reiser?

Ext3 is in fact possible, and I do use it on my vice-partitions.

The advantage of ext3 is a builtin metadata journaling. It has some
advantages in respect of consitency in case of an unexpected system
crash. In server environments this might happen not as often as on
desktop systems.

Reiser is always a controversal topic. It is no longer the primay
filesystem in any distribution. Suse used it, but recommends ext3 now.

There is a strong political discussion going on beween Hans Reiser and
the kernel dev team. The problem is, that reiser-code is not very good
maintainable.

Even worse. Because of the really much more complex datastructures, a
broken reiser fs is much mor difficult to repair.

Chris
--
  TU Chemnitz, Informatik, VSR  | Chemnitzer Linux-Tage 2007, 3.-4. Maerz
   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204    |     http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de