[OpenAFS] openafs 1.4.2: 'klog -setpag' doesn't work on rhel4

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:50:31 -0500

At 4:31 PM -0500 11/20/06, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Robert Banz wrote:
>
>>>The change for 1.4.2 was made for Linux only. Probably this should
>>>be removed everywhere.
>>
>>Oh, don't make the rest of our lives miserable due to the lackings
>>of one platform!
>
>It's not really much safer anywhere else, and it's not really a
>lacking of linux. It's difficult to properly track things such that
>you know a child really is allowed to change state about the parent
>(klog -setpag can always set klog's pag. you're complaining that it
>needs to be able to change the parent's pag.... well, why? or
>rather... how do we decide when that's ok?)

Sounds like we need to make 'klog' into a shell builtin function.  :-)
(well, just the "-setpag" part, in some generic way).

certainly I use 'ssh-agent' to change the state of a parent shell,
because it has a way to tell the parent shell what changes the parent
should make to its environment.  I wrap that in a shell function,
and it gets the job done.

This started out as a joke, but I have a vague feeling there might
be a good idea somewhere in this line of thinking...  Something
with plug-in modules, and an option to 'set' which would trigger
the change.