[OpenAFS] Backup AFS with BackupPC?

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:10:08 -0400 (EDT)

I've been using BackupPC to backup non-afs disks for awhile now. It's an
opensource solution for disk-to-disk backups via tar, rsync, or smb. See
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/backuppc> for more information.

I'm working on a "vos" XferMethod for it to allow it to directly backup and
restore AFS volumes. In reality it's just lots of scripting around vos dump
and vos restore, but with the necessary hooks into BackupPC so that it can
do all the work to determine what backups are necessary, where to store
dumpfiles, and handle manual operations, including restores, via the CGI
interface.

I've already done a lot of the heavy lifting. It is working with my test
volumes... But I readily admit that my perl ain't the sexiest you'll see.
:-) I'm sure that there are ways it can be made better, cleaner, and with
more robust error checking.

To reiterate, I am NOT the author of BackupPC. But do I plan to offer my
changes back upstream to BackupPC under the GPL, assuming that the
devlopers want them.

So I want to gauge the interest in the community for BackupPC with AFS
capability... anyone think it might be useful to them? Secondly, if there
is anyone on the list who either currently uses BackupPC or has excellent
perl skills, preferably both! and would like to collaborate, please contact
me offlist.

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

The problem with troubleshooting is that often trouble shoots back.