[OpenAFS] Backup AFS with BackupPC?

seth vidal skvidal@linux.duke.edu
Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:44:03 -0400

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 22:28 +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting Stephen Joyce <stephen@physics.unc.edu>:
>
> > I'm working on a "vos" XferMethod for it to allow it to directly backup and
> > restore AFS volumes. In reality it's just lots of scripting around vos dump
> > and vos restore, but with the necessary hooks into BackupPC so that it can
> > do all the work to determine what backups are necessary, where to store
> > dumpfiles, and handle manual operations, including restores, via the CGI
> > interface.
>
> Have a look at _MY_ attempt to do AFS backups. I'm using Bacula and run this
> script BEFORE bacula puts the backup/dump files to tape...
>
> http://www.bayour.com/scripts/backup_afs.sh

I'd like to hear what internal mechanisms people are doing to backup
afs. It seems like everyone has their own special system to backup afs.
I'm curious about why that's so and why none of the major open source
backup software has support for afs.

When I looked at the ones available (both open source and closed) I was
woefully unimpressed. Many of them seemed fragile or problem-prone.

Specifically I'm interested in how many of them can do:
 - volumeset backups or backup by wildcarded volume/partion names
 - full volume restores
 - directory restores preserving acls
 - individual file restores
 - incremental backups