[OpenAFS] why afs backup is so poorly supported (Was: Backup AFS with BackupPC?)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 22:36:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Adam Megacz wrote:

> When AFS decided to go with a proprietary on-disk volume format, it
> isolated its backup requirements from those of all other network
> filesystems.  Because of this isolation, there is insufficient

Sure. Beforemost of them existed, AFS failed to anticipate their existance
and guess how they'd work.

> Same argument applies to journalling technologies.  AFS essentially
> creates a filesystem-within-a-filesystem which *still* doesn't have
> even the most basic journalling capabilities -- five years after they
> became a standard feature on server OSes.  Ditto for redundant

Yup, didn't write that one years in the future either.

No one is bored enough to write it in their spare time, and no one has
cared enough to throw money at it. I'll not labor the point.

Derrick