[OpenAFS] Commercial AFS backups

John Hascall john@iastate.edu
Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:55:17 CDT

> not needing licenses for restore means nothing about having the software
> be able to run on a current machine.

> ie: can you restore on a box 5-10 years from now when you can't find the
> software and can't get it to run on any modern os/hardware? no.

What kind of dipstick would wait 5-10 years after their backup
solution end-of-lifed to worry about this?

We've probably been through a half dozen different backup tape
formats alone in 10 years.  When you have a discontinuity like this,
(hardware/software/whatever), if you have a half a brain, you'll
move forward everything worth keeping asap.

John
PS, FWIW, we use TiBS