[OpenAFS] Optimization for Throughput

FB fbo2@gmx.net
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:20:47 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 01:46:29PM -0400, Daniel Clark wrote:

[snip]

> Therefore what I'm working on now (and I think some other people are
> already doing) is using the disk cache code against an in-RAM
> filesystem; this requires changes to the init scripts and the use of
> OS-specific commands to set up that in-memory filesystem, and I'm not
> sure if it will work everywhere; I have tested on AIX with in-memory
> JFS and that seems to work just as well as memcache; I assume it will
> be trivial on GNU/Linux; and I haven't looked at Solaris at all yet.
>
> If anyone is already doing this, examples of working init scripts
> would of course be appreciated :-)

I even have a ready-to-use Debian package. Have a look at:

 ftp://instantafs.cbs.mpg.de/instantafs/debian/sarge/openafs-ramdisk

The package installs its own init-script which is run before the AFS
client. It reads the content of /etc/openafs/cacheinfo, creates
an ext2-ramdisk in a loop device in the /dev/shm-filesystem (which is
available by default in Debian). The only weekness of openafs-ramdisk
is the missing cache-size-compared-to-mem-size-check which I'm going
to implement asap.

Regards,

Frank