[OpenAFS] Commercial AFS backups

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:00:54 -0700

It has everything to do with archiving.

1. It's a case history
2. Archiving really can't be done without a records retention policy
3. Copying random access media to sequential access media interferes with
scheduled deletions. The legal department despises archived correspondence.
For instance, not throwing away 50 year old PAPER correspondence cost Johns
Manville, Eagle Pitcher Industries and Raybestos tens of billions of dollars
in asbestos claims.
4. Who archives the archiving system? And for how long do they long term
support it after end of manufacturing?
5. The only system I know of that meets 1-4 is AFS, and multiple dispersed
servers are required.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Jeffrey Hutzelman
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 11:30 AM
To: tcreedon@easystreet.com; openafs-info@openafs.org
Cc: Jeffrey Hutzelman
Subject: RE: [OpenAFS] Commercial AFS backups

On Tuesday, October 10, 2006 09:37:03 AM -0700 ted creedon
<tcreedon@easystreet.com> wrote:

> If industry did a better job of archiving and placing old software in the
> public domain, there would be very few software patents issued..

Well, that was a nice little rant, but I fail to see what relevance it had
to the question, which was:

> What kind of dipstick would wait 5-10 years after their backup
> solution end-of-lifed to worry about this?

I have AFS backup tapes going back 19 years, mostly in off-site storage
somewhere.  Some people may have the luxury of being able to look at the
contents of all of their backups and predict which ones are "important"
enough to spend time copying to new media, but most of us do not.  That's
why we maintain the capability to read old backups.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer