[OpenAFS] status of samba serving AFS file space? other non-native windows access?

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 01:44:41 -0400

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 05:05:20PM -0400, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Danno:
>
> I suspect that if people filed more bug reports when problems were
> experienced that things would get fixed faster.  I understand that folks

for the record (and I know *you* know this), our windows support folks
have in fact filed some bugs, or at least contacted you directly,
specifically regarding the delay issues.  Also for the record you
were apparently responsive but somehow along the way the problem
didn't get solved.

It may be that all of our problems have been either the long delays
accessing AFS (which I think was due to the server bug that was fxed in
1.4.1), or the "missing data" problems, which I never bothered to report
because i was sure it's just locking.  (and, because try as we could,
we could never reproduce it).  Thanks for the info on the bug fixed
in the upcoming release - it sounds like that will be an improvement,
but I don't think it's related here, the users are editing the same file
over and over.

Part of the problem is that my team is overloaded and didn't do proper
followup with this beta customer in our organization - so they got very
frustrated.  I'm loath to frustrate them any further, eg, with -dev branch
code that may have furhter problems, since they process my paycheck.

Thanks also for the info on all the other afs access methods.  Sounds
like samba isn't the right solution for us.   We may give the SFTPdrive
thing a shot - I believe it will work, but it's not clear it enforces
locking either.

regards
danno