[OpenAFS] kaserver deperecation, OpenAFS future, etc...

Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:42:23 -0400

Jeff Blaine wrote:

> Actually, if I do a search for "openafs kaserver deprecated"
> (without quotes of course), just about the only reasonable
> thing I can find is someone from 2005 pleading with the list
> for kaserver to not end up silently dropped one day.  You
> were the responder then too, so I'm guessing this is your
> hot button item.

Getting rid of Kerberos 4 was the reason I started working
on OpenAFS.  Can't get rid of Kerberos 4 unless we get all
of the OpenAFS users off of it.  The only other protocol
that is more Kerberos 4 entrenched than AFS is Zephyr.

> Such an informative message.
>
> Then that.
>
> I really appreciate the inclusion of your evaluation of MITRE's
> best interests due to someone from a company of 5000+ asking
> a question about kaserver's EOL status and curiosity to find
> the main official stream of OpenAFS announcements for its
> future.  Your assessment is dead on.  Really.  Thank you.

As was sent in response to your private e-mail:

"I'm sorry if you or your employer were offended in some way.
I only said publicly what other people are thinking and saying in private.

"I hope the rest of my reply was informative.  I didn't spend more
than an hour working on it with the intention of insulting you."

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.