[OpenAFS] amd64_linux24 skipped stuff?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:23:52 -0700

Responding in passing during vacation.  I won't see any replies until next
week.

Jeff Blaine <jblaine@mitre.org> writes:

>> pam: do you have pam devel installed? if not, no pam module.

> Yes, it is installed.

> Coworker: "For the amd boxes you have to cd into src/pam and
>            make there."

> Doing this worked just fine.  I cannot see any reason pam
> would be excluded for amd64_linux24 and believe it is an
> oversight/bug.

AMD64 is one of the systems where bad things happen to PAM modules if they
contain any non-PIC code.  I'm fairly sure that the default OpenAFS build
process builds non-PIC code into the PAM modules; this is probably why
they're disabled.

The Debian packages have an ugly hack that builds the PAM modules PIC and
links against a PIC version of all of the libraries, and so far as I can
tell, the PAM modules do work when built that way.  The hack is pretty
gross, though, which is why it isn't in OpenAFS proper.

The right long-term solution for krb5 is something that I'll be able to
start working on next month.  For people who are using only the kaserver,
I'm not sure that we're going to have the development resources to redo
the PAM modules and build system properly; at least, I'm not going to have
cycles in the near future.