[OpenAFS] status of samba serving AFS file space? other non-native windows access?

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:33:07 -0400

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 10:14:17AM -0400, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> > have in fact filed some bugs, or at least contacted you directly,
> > specifically regarding the delay issues.  Also for the record you
> > were apparently responsive but somehow along the way the problem
> > didn't get solved.
>
> Searching through the bugs queue the only tickets submitted from
> internet2.edu are from you.  That is not to say that folks have not
> submitted tickets from other organizations but I would be unable to
> tie them back to Internet2.   If I had recognized the relationship I
> would have contacted you directly when the problem had been reported.

After further investigation, our windows people say they never did
contact you after all and I must have misunderstood what they were
saying.  Best guess is that we could not reproduce the issue so we
did not follow up with you.

Sorry for the red herring :(

> > It may be that all of our problems have been either the long delays
> > accessing AFS (which I think was due to the server bug that was fxed in
> > 1.4.1),

...which are still happenning, although the timeouts are shorter.
More detail to follow.  sigh.

> If you have multiple people editing in the same directory, the creation
> and deletion of temporary files will result in callbacks to the clients
> that can also trigger the callback break race conditions.

In theory, they were doing a "check-out" procedure to prevent simultaneous
edits by moving files to individual user directories before editing.
In practice I suspect that they were overwriting one another's checkins
somehow.

danno
--
Dan Pritts, System Administrator