[OpenAFS] stat files capped at 10000 on Windows AFS client?

Mike Polek mike@pictage.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:39:18 -0700

Hi,
   I'm having a challenge with my Windows users. We've
upgraded to OpenAFSforWindows-DEBUG-1-4-2a.exe, and the
issue persists.
   When a user attempts to open a directory with about
15K folder entries, it takes a Looong time, and after
about a half hour, the AFS client has a tendency to
stop functioning, time out, or crash.
   I have afsd.log and afsd.dmp files from a recent
hung client (and afsd_init.log,afs-buffer.log), if they
would be useful. I was hoping that just increasing the
number of stat entries would be sufficient, but when I
go into the advanced configuration and attempt to raise it
above 10000, it's just plain not permitted. I increased
the cache file size to 256MB, but that didn't seem to
help.
   Now... before you ask why there is a directory with
15K+ entries in it... well.. it's a long story. And
I have provided other access to those folders from
folders with 1.5K entries by splitting things up.
However, my end users don't like hunting around and
insist on searching the big folder. I've considered
removing access to it, but I don't want to start
a war... we have too many of those on the planet right
now.
   I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered
this kind of thing and found settings that solve it.
I'm ok with it being a little slow... that's their
choice to live with the slowness. But I could do without
the locking up and crashing part.

   My co-worker who is the windows expert (I am NOT a
windows guy) has downloaded the tools to analyze the
.dmp file, and that's our next step if need be, but
we're not sure what we're looking for, so any guidance
would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Polek
Pictage, Inc.