[OpenAFS] stat files capped at 10000 on Windows AFS client?

Mike Polek mike@pictage.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:27:32 -0700

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Mike Polek wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>  I'm having a challenge with my Windows users. We've
>>upgraded to OpenAFSforWindows-DEBUG-1-4-2a.exe, and the
>>issue persists.
>

> Use the 1.5.10 installers.  1.4.2 does not support
> inline bulk stat RPCs.  I'm sure that performing 15,000
> RPCs to read the contents of a directory is going to
> take some time.

When we attempted to go to 1.5.9, we had more complaints
that with the 1.4.1 series. Any words of wisdom before
attempting 1.5.10? If this does what I need it to do,
and so we choose this as a migration path,
I will be actively debugging it and doing my best to
gather bug reporting data. More to come!

> As for the stat cache limit, that's a registry setting
> documented in the release notes.

I did read the release notes, and I saw it there, but
it looked like the registry setting was for a "default"
value, not a default for a "max" value. Or am I just
reading it incorrectly and I need to change the registry
setting because it can't be changed through the client?

In other words, if I set the registry entry to 30000,
will that set the value in the client to 30000, or will
it change the maximum allowed value? (I guess I could just
try it and see, but I'd like to know what the actual
definition is... Thanks!)

Regards,
Mike Polek