[OpenAFS] AFS client suddenly extremely slow

Daniel Clark dclark@pobox.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:22:43 -0400

On 10/25/06, Bastian <dea1306@melvex.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Christopher D. Clausen schreef:
> > Bastian <dea1306@melvex.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I don't think it is a hardware problem, since other file transfers (in
> this case scp) have normal speed.
> Before I knew non-afs transfers were normal, I tried different ports
> though. No change.
>
> Would changing the NIC be worth a try? Could a bad NIC influence openafs
> performance and at the same time not influence scp performance?

One thing that can cause protocols like scp and ftp to work fine, but
more bidirectionally chatty protocols like AFS to fail, is Ethernet
Duplex settings; I had a similar problem a while ago, and that turned
out to be the reason. I good paper on the issues is here [1]. The
canonical way to test this would probably be to swap both NICs and
network cables of the two systems, but you should be able to get the
relevant information from your Networks group (what the switch has the
duplex of the port set to) and your local machine (via ifconfig,
netstat, etc based on OS). If the settings are identical on both
systems and on both ports, you know this probably isn't the issue.

[1] http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/network/autosense.html

--
Daniel Joseph Barnhart Clark
http://www.pobox.com/users/dclark