[OpenAFS] failed fileserver ip address change

Juha Jäykkä juolja@utu.fi
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:41:24 +0300

--Sig_lrboz+7U0cAtHG9rwS/EJgd

> Hmm, so somehow it cached the location of the volume.
> I wonder if a "fs checkvolumes" would have helped.

I'm not very experienced on afs, but I'm not *that* beginner either. =3D) I
tried that, it simply complained that it could not contact the server at
the old address. I'm not sure if it contacted the server at the new
address, though.=20

It seemed to me as if openafs servers thought there are two distinct
servers: the one with the old ip and the one with the new. It never
seemed to occur to openafs that they were indeed the same server. (Would
it even be possible? I mean, how could it tell?) The problem was that
openafs thought the volumes were at the old ip and even though the fs
instance at the new ip had attached the very same volumes, they were not
visible. That's not true: the RO replicas at the new ip *were* indeed
visible, but the RW's were not. Only, after vos delentry, all the old
ones were (naturally) removed from the vldb, but *still* those same
volumes from the new ip stayed inaccessible *to this one client*, which,
by the way, happened to be running at machine which had just got a new
ip. Perhaps that had something to do with it?

-Juha

--=20
                | Juha J=C3=A4ykk=C3=A4, juolja@utu.fi			|
		| Laboratory of Theoretical Physics		|
		| Department of Physics, University of Turku	|
                | home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/              |