[OpenAFS] AFS client suddenly extremely slow SOLVED

Bastian dea1306@melvex.xs4all.nl
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:41:23 +0200

Daniel Clark schreef:
> On 10/25/06, Bastian <dea1306@melvex.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Christopher D. Clausen schreef:
>> > Bastian <dea1306@melvex.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> I don't think it is a hardware problem, since other file transfers (in
>> this case scp) have normal speed.
>> Before I knew non-afs transfers were normal, I tried different ports
>> though. No change.
>>
>> Would changing the NIC be worth a try? Could a bad NIC influence openafs
>> performance and at the same time not influence scp performance?
> One thing that can cause protocols like scp and ftp to work fine, but
> more bidirectionally chatty protocols like AFS to fail, is Ethernet
> Duplex settings; I had a similar problem a while ago, and that turned
> out to be the reason. I good paper on the issues is here [1]. The
> canonical way to test this would probably be to swap both NICs and
> network cables of the two systems, but you should be able to get the
> relevant information from your Networks group (what the switch has the
> duplex of the port set to) and your local machine (via ifconfig,
> netstat, etc based on OS). If the settings are identical on both
> systems and on both ports, you know this probably isn't the issue.
> [1] http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/network/autosense.html

It turned out to be a bad ethernet switch after all. Some ports are
good, some are bad. I examined the nic settings with mii-diag. On a bad
port it tells me my 'link partner 'does not do autonegotiation', (which
it should). Switching to a good port did the trick. Now my openafs
performance is normal (and yes I will replace the hub altogether, as
soon as I go Gbit :-)

Problem solved. Thanks, especially to those who pointed my into the
direction of hardware. I had no idea a hardware problem or setting could
influence different protocols so differently.

Bastian